Traditional Diets include foods like unpasteurized dairy products, raw meat and fish and tropical fruits which nurtured the ancestors before the industrialization of food. In today’s date there have been an increasing number of complications such as high blood sugar and pressure, diabetes, obesity, cancer although people restrict taking the dietary fats and dietary cholesterol. After a lot of research, it has been found that the main culprit behind these complications is the canned, processed and the refined foods rather than the saturated fatty food. This is why organizations such as Weston A. Price Foundation have sprung up to educate people about the significance of the traditional diets in their health.
The foundation states that fats such as butter, lard from pigs, tallow and suet from beef and lamb, fat from chicken, duck and goose and coconut and palm kernel oils are ideal for cooking. While for salad dressings, extra virgin olive oil, Expeller-expressed flax, sesame and peanut oils are perfect. It further states that hydrogenated and partially hydrogenated oils, vegetable oils, and industrially processed oils such as soy, corn, safflower, cottonseed and canola are known for causing cancer, immune system dysfunction, heart disease, infertility, growth problems, learning incapacities, and even osteoporosis.
Weston A. Price Foundation states that saturated fats, such as meat fats, butter palm oil and coconut oil are known for providing several advantages to people such as:
- They provide the proper stiffness and structure to the cell membranes and tissues.
- They reduces an element known as Lp(a), a very perfect indicator for heart disease.
- They can fortify the immune system and thus prevent cancer.
- They assist receptors for insulin to work properly, thus help in preventing diabetes.
- They help in preventing asthma.
- They assist the kidney to function properly and keep them healthy.
- They increase the production of hormones.
- They help the central nervous system or CNS to work properly and provide the building blocks for cell membranes.
- They destroy inflammation and swelling.
- They keep the body temperature well controlled, protect the internal organs from injury, and provide continuous levels of energy throughout the day.
Apart from this, the saturated fats from animal products, milk products and the tropical oils transmit the important fat-soluble vitamins which help people to remain healthy.
Due to the presence of all these advantages, Weston A. Price Foundation advocates people to eat saturated fats and dietary cholesterol from the traditional foods. The foundation promotes therapies and ideas such as homeopathy, unrefined Celtic sea salt, raw milk, high fat diet, low carb diet, natural supplements etc. It does not support microwaves, pasteurized milk, canola oil, veganism, polyunsaturated oils and monosodium glutamate. WAPF was formed based on the research of Dr. Weston A. Price, a renowned dentist. He focused on the dietary variances and deficiencies among traditional diets and the western diet.
Thus, according to WAPF people should opt for the traditional diets as they can help an individual to stay away from the deadliest diseases and live longer!