Carotid Endarterectomy is a surgery which is done in order to prevent strokes. According to a survey in the US, a stroke is the fifth leading cause of death. Nearly 50-75% people who suffer from a stroke, have carotid artery disease which, can be cured by doing carotid endarterectomy.
Carotid Endarterectomy is a way to purify the artery so that the blood supply to the brain is unstoppable. This is not a permanent cure in itself as the plaque can again form up in the arteries because of high cholesterol content in the blood.
Even if the plaque doesn’t exhibit any kind of symptoms, patients are still at a risk of stroke; much more than the average population. Hence, periodical check-ups are mandatory in such cases to prevent any future risk.
Why is it done?
The doctors recommend Carotid Endarterectomy if you:
- Have moderate blocking and symptoms of a stroke-like mini-stroke or transient ischemic has attacked you.
- Have severe blocking of an artery. In this case, the surgery is done irrespective of the stroke.
If you’re confused about which medical facility you need to pick, it will be worth noting that Carotid Endarterectomy surgery in Bangalore should be amongst your top options due to the presence of hi-end technology and vastly experienced medical practitioners.
Pre-requisites of the surgery:
Before taking any further step, discuss your medical condition at length with your family members and close ones; individuals who will assist you when it comes to making medical decisions.
Stay in regular touch with your vascular surgeon about which medications to continue.
How is it done?
- The doctor first checks the blocking percentage and then prepares for the surgery.
- The surgery is carried out in an operation theatre or sterile surgical room.
- General Anaesthesia is given to the patient.
- An incision is made by the doctor on the front side of your neck.
- Then the doctor will remove the plaque.
- The artery is repaired by stitching a natural graft or a woven patch.
- You may go home on the same day or 1-2 days after the surgery.
You might be able to go home the day of your surgery itself if everything works out well; otherwise, it might take 1-2 more days to get you acclimatized depending on your condition. You can even book an online doctor appointment from your home these days without the hassle of going to the hospital. So it is better to have a checkup of your arteries with your doctor.
These are some risks that may occur after the surgery:
- 2-3% of patients are affected by stroke without any pre-procedure symptoms.
- 5-7% of patients fall prey to the stroke with symptoms such as mini-stroke or TIA.
- Heart attack
- Nerve damage which may affect the tongue, back or voice box.
The skin around the neck where the incision made during the surgery will be largely numb once its over. There’s no need to panic though as it will get back to normal in due time. Your surgeon will probably get a carotid ultrasound done; which is something you’ll have to get done on a yearly basis just to make sure that the plaque doesn’t resurface. Stick to lighter food options like yoghurt and soup before getting back to your normal diet. The doctor will ask you to do some stretching after the surgery to check the heart stroke symptoms.
PSTakecare will help you in getting the best surgeon for Carotid Endarterectomy in Bangalore. So don’t worry about your surgery as you will be in safe hands.